Information on children with disability is necessary in order to:
- understand the situation of children with disabilities in terms of child development, and with respect to prevalence, social circumstances and geographic location, unmet needs and the quantity and quality of the support they are receiving,
- assess the role of environmental factors (including societal attitudes and physical barriers) in the matters of inclusion (for example, access to education),
- advocate for the rights of children with disabilities,
- prioritize interventions: inform policies and programs, facilitate the planning of services, and improve participation and quality of life of children with disabilities and their families, and
- monitor progress on the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities (CRPD) and the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC).