October 23-25, 2012: Bangkok, Thailand
The 12th meeting of the Washington Group on Disability Statistics (WG) was held 23-25 October 2012 in Bangkok, Thailand. The primary focus of the meeting was a presentation from the workgroup on child functioning and disability on the development of a proposed question module designed to measure functioning and disability among children.
Results from further analysis of data collected by countries using the WG Short Set (SS) of questions and additional analyses of the Extended Set of questions on Functioning (ES-F) using data from the US National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) were also presented. The workgroup dealing with environmental factors also provided an update on the development of extended set questions intended to measure environmental barriers and participation
In addition to updates on other Washington Group related activities, the United Nations Statistics Division, UN affiliates, and the World Bank will be invited to report on their recent activities related to disability statistics, and we invite country reports on disability measurement. The Steering Committee chair will lead a discussion on strategic issues including planning next steps.
Detailed Meeting Program:
- Present additional work on short set questions:
- results from further analysis of data collected during the 2010 round of Censuses
- Present additional work on extended set on functioning:
- results from further analysis of data from the US NHIS
- Present additional work on the development of questions on child functioning and disability:
- presentation of proposed question set
- Present additional work on extended sets of questions on environmental factors and participation:
- conceptual framework and feasibility of developing a proposed set (or sets) of questions measuring environmental factors and participation
- Discuss strategic issues
Papers and Presentations
Session 1: Opening Session
Welcoming remarks; practical information; a review of developments since the last meeting; and a review of the objectives and agenda for the 12th meeting were provided.
Session 2: WG Short Set
Country experiences and results using the WG Short Set (SS) questions were presented in the session.
- Presentation of results from further analyses of data collected from countries using the WG Short measure questions in surveys and the 2010 Round of Census [pdf]
Session 3: WG Extended Set on Functioning
A brief review of the development of the Extended Set on Functioning (ES-F) was presented; followed by a presentation of results from further analyses of data from the 2011 US National Health Interview Survey (NHIS). Thesession also included a discussion on analytic guidelines, strategies, and plans for expansion of cognitive and field testing of the WG ES-F to other regions.
- Review of the development the Extended Set on Functioning [pdf]
- Presentation of results from further analyses of data from the US National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) [pdf]
- Mixed-Method Assessment of Validity and CrossSubgroup Comparability [pdf]
- Development of Extended Set of Disability Measures for Surveys: The Extended Set on Functioning [pdf]
- The Matrix (Workplan for the development of the Extended Question Sets) [pdf]
- The Washington Group Extended Set on Functioning (WG ES-F) [pdf]
Session 4: Methodological Issues Concerning Surveys – Environmental Factors and participation
This session included a presentation on the additional work and next steps related to the development of questions for the measurement of environmental barriers and participation.
- Presentation of additional work and discussion of next steps related to developing questions for the measurement of environmental barriers and participation [pdf]
Session 5: Methodological Issues Concerning Surveys – Child Disability
A review and presentation of additional work on the Module on Child Functioning and Disability (ES-C) were provided during this session; followed by an update on the measurement of child disability using the Multiple Indicator Clusters Survey (MICS); the presentation of the proposed question Module on Child Functioning and Disability (ES-C). The session concluded with a review of cognitive testing of the question module and discussion of the next steps for the workgroup on child disability.
- Review and presentation of additional work on the Module on Child Functioning and Disability since the last meeting [pdf]
- Update on the measurement of child disability using the Multiple Indicator Clusters Survey (MICS) [pdf]
- Presentation of the proposed Module on Child Functioning and Disability [pdf]
- Cognitive testing of the WG module on child functioning and disability in India [pdf]
Session 6: Country Reports
A summary of the annual reports on national activities related to disability statistics was provided. This session also included additional country experiences and results using the WG Short Set (SS) questions
- Summary of annual activities related to disability statistics [pdf]
- 2009 Maldives Demographic and Health Survey [pdf]
- Disability Statistics Botswana [pdf]
- Country Report on the Pre Test to Improve Disability Measurement Statistics Sri Lanka 2009 [pdf]
- Disability results from the 2010 Brazilian Population Census [pdf]
Session 7: Next Steps and Objectives for the 13th Meeting
Updates were provided by representatives from UN ESCAP’s Social Development Division and the World Health Organization (WHO) on their recent activities related to disability statistics during this session. The WG Secretariat led a discussion providing updates on governance issues; summarizing the accomplishments of the 12th meeting; outlining of the next steps; and closing remarks.
- Overview and discussion of the Incheon Strategy and Disability at a Glance 2012 [pdf]
- Review and discussion of the World Report on Disability and the Model Disability Survey (MDS) [pdf]
- Discussion of next steps, objectives for the 12th meeting, and closing remarks [pdf]
Two workgroups have been formed to address some unresolved methodological issues facing the WG. An additional workgroup has been established to develop an analytic plan for the WG ES-F. The workgroups will present status reports at the 13th meeting of the WG. Chairs have been identified and will serve as the contact for each workgroup. Information on the workgroup topics and chairs are provided below. WG members who wish to volunteer to participate in one of these groups are to contact the workgroup chairs.
Workgroup on Child Disability
Chairs: Roberta Crialesi and Elena DePalma, Italy
This workgroup is charged with the development of specific question modules designed to measure disability among children.
Workgroup on Environmental Factors and Participation
Chair: Barbara Altman, USA
This workgroup is charged with designing extended set questions for the measurement of environmental factors including both barriers and facilitators
Workgroup on the Analysis of the Extended Set on Functioning
Chair: Julie Weeks, USA
This workgroup is charged with the development of an analytic plan and continued analysis of the WG Extended Set of questions on Functioning (ES-F).