December 7-9: Pretoria, South Africa
Detailed Meeting Program
Papers and Presentation
Session 1: Opening Session
Session 2: Development of Measures Specific to Mental Health
This session will include an update on the work to develop measures specific to mental health.
- Mental Health Workgroup [ppt]
- Examination of anxiety and depression in Cameroon, Canada, India and the United States [ppt]
Session 3: Measuring Child Functioning
This session includes an update on the WG’s collaboration with UNICEF to develop the questions designed to measure child functioning.
- UNICEF-WG Module on Child Functioning: Rationale and Process [ppt]
- UNICEF-WG Module on Child Functioning: Testing and Analysis [ppt]
- UNICEF-WG Module on Child FunctioningUNICEF-WG Module on Child Functioning [ppt]
- UNICEF/WG Child Functioning Module for Children under Age 5
- UNICEF/WG Child Functioning Module for Children Age 5 to 17
Session 4: Use of the WG Tools for Disaggregation by Disability Status
This session focuses on the use of the WG questions for disaggregation of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and other outcome indicators by disability status.
- Measuring Disability to support the follow-up and review of SDGs [ppt]
- Disaggregating the SDGs by Disability [ppt]
Session 5: Measuring Environmental Factors and Participation
This session will focus on the WG’s work to develop questions designed to measure environmental factors and participation. The session will include an overview of the WG’s collaboration with UNICEF to develop the questions intended for the measurement of inclusive education for children. The session will also include an overview of the WG’s and International Labor Organization’s collaboration to develop a disability module intended for the use in labor force surveys.
Session 6: WG Extended Set on Functioning – Proposed Guidelines for Analysis
This session includes the presentation of results and guidelines for analyzing data obtained using the WG Extended Question Set on Functioning (ES-F).
- WG Short Set Questions: SPSS Syntax for Analysis
- WG Extended Set on Functioning Questions: SPSS Syntax for Analysis
- Developing Indicators for Select Domains using the WG questions
- Validating WG Indicators for Select Domains
Session 7-8: Disability Measurements in Africa
This session, to be led by Statistics South Africa and the South African Department of Social Development, will include presentations focusing on the development a Disability Inequality Index in South Africa. The session will also include presentations by representatives from l’Institut de Formation et de Recherche Démographiques (IFORD) providing an overview of the HandiVIH project and a representative from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) examining the association between disability and poverty in South Africa.
- Disability Rights in South Africa – Statistical Provisions and Implications [ppt]
- Disability Inequality Index [ppt]
- Measuring Disability in South Africa: Data gaps and challenges [ppt]
- Untangling Disability and Poverty: A matching approach using large-scale data in South Africa [ppt]
- International Union for the Scientific Study of Population [ppt]
- Experiences of using WG tools in French speaking settings [ppt]
Session 9: WG Collaborations, Country Activities, and Other Related Activities
The session will include an update on the WG’s partnership with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to support the implementation of the WG questions in national data collections, the analysis of the data that are produced and the dissemination of the information to inform policies and programs to improve the lives of persons with disabilities and to monitor compliance with the United Nations Convention for the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) and attainment of the Post 2015 Sustainable Development Goals. The session will also include a review of the WG’s other collaborations and activities related to disability statistics, including an overview of the WG’s work with Handicap International, the Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) and Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys (MICS) Programs, and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU); as well as a proposal for membership in the Global Action on Disability (GLAD) Network. This session will also include a summary of the country reports and presentations on individual country activities related to disability statistics.
- Sharing Australia’s experiences: Disability statistics nationally and internationally [ppt]
- Data disaggregation in projects [ppt]
- Pilot testing the WG-SS in the Netherlands [ppt]
- WG Collaborations and other related activities [ppt]
- Summary of Annual Activities Related to Disability Statistics [ppt]
Session 9: WG Collaborative Activities
The session included a discussion on the WG’s partnership with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to support the implementation of the WG questions in national data collections, the analysis of the data that are produced and the dissemination of the information to inform policies and programs to improve the lives of persons with disabilities. Updates were provided on other WG collaborative activities, including collaborations with the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID) and Handicap International.
- Discussion of WG’s partnership with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and presentation on producing a WG disability prevalence rate in Australia [pdf]
- Overview of the United Kingdom Department for International Development’s (DFID) activities related to disability [pdf]
- An overview of WG collaboration with Handicap International [pdf]